Record Office users

From 1st June 2017, all users of the Record Office will need to register for a CARN card (County Archive Research Network – a national scheme run by the Archives and Records Association). This means that on your next visit to the Record Office you should bring with you some proof of identity showing your name, permanent address, and signature.  Acceptable forms of identification are as follows:

Driving licence (name, address and signature)
Foreign passport (name and signature)
Bank statement (name and address)
Pension/benefit book (name and address)
Disabled person’s registration (name and address)
Own vehicle registration documents (name and address)
National Archives’ readers ticket (but need second ID proof)
Credit/debit /cheque guarantee cards (name and signature)

Once you have your CARN card, you will be able to use it at any of the participating record offices in the country.

More details of the scheme can be found at this link:



Posted in News