For an alphabetical list of the subjects featured in this website, see the A – Z Index of Topics.
Individual pages on the history of North Northumberland and some of the people who have featured in it can be found in the list below.
People and Families:
- The Askew family
- Sir William Burrell
- Josephine Butler and the Grey family
- Alexander Calder, WWI seaman
- Jim Clark, Lotus Cars, and P. D. Springall
- The Conquer diaries, at Pallinsburn
- George Frederick Cooke, actor
- Dr John Elliott of Lowick
- Thomas Grey, poet
- William Jackson, the last Berwick whaler
- William Blake Lambert, naval engineer
- The Lee family, boatbuilders of Tweedmouth
- Hugh Miller, actor
- Luke Moody, farmer of Bowsden, and of Newmarket, Canada
- James Redpath
- Short Brothers, aircraft manufacturers
- The Berwick Spowarts
- Jimmy Strength, and his statue
- The Wood family
Links to some digitised books on the history of Berwick and Northumberland can be found on the Books online page (including works by John Scott, Frederick Sheldon, and John Fuller). These can be browsed and searched online.
Other historical accounts of North Northumberland: (PDF format)
- 1817. A visit to Holy Island (Lindisfarne) and Bamburgh was described by “a Gentleman” in letters to an Edinburgh friend (and published in the Scots Magazinein 1818). Click here to read the account.
- 1850. James Traill Calder, a schoolteacher from Caithness, visited North Northumberland and described the places he journeyed through, including Berwick, Belford, and Wooler; (published in the John O’Groat Journal in November 1850). Click here to read his account.
- 1894. A June day on Holy Island, by Mrs Arthur H. Berger, was published in the Scots Magazine of 1st September 1894, describing an expedition made while she was staying in Bamburgh. Click here to read the article.
- 1909. The Blue Bell Inn at Belford and a visit to Holy Island (Lindisfarne) was described by a “Peripatetic Parson” (in an article published in the Church Times, 17 September 1909). Click here to read the article.
Banner images: Spittal School (late 1800s) © Berwick Record Office, BRO 1887-48a-2; WW2 Spittal point (source unknown).